The Department of Social Services (DSS) called for submissions regarding the proposed legislative amendments to the NDIS Act 2013 and the NDIS Amendment (Participant Service Guarantee and other measures) Bill 2021.
The National Mental Health Consumer & Carer Forum (NMHCCF) submitted a response to the call for submissions in October 2021.
Reason for the submission
The DSS is seeking feedback on proposed changes to the NDIS legislation that addresses:
The NMHCCF’s submission focused on the following key points:
- NDIS Participant Service Guarantee (PSG)
- select recommendations of the 2019 Tune Review that are not captured by the PSG and are unrelatedto independent assessments or section 34 reasonable and necessary requirements
- recognise the transition of the NDIS to a full scheme that is available across Australia
- NMHCCF is supportive of the inclusion of psychosocial disability and recognition of the episodic and fluctuating nature of the disability
- Continued under-representation in the NDIS of people with psychosocial disability as a primary diagnosis
- Clarity required around the health/disability space
- Need for consultation and co-design for the scheme and also individual plans
- Clarity of terms - especially as they apply to psychosocial disability
Download a copy of the submission
Submission to the Department of Social Services regarding the NDIS Act Review
To find out more about the NMHCCF’s other submissions, click here.
Visit the submission process on the DSS website
To find out more about this submission process, please visit the DSS website.